Here’s a quick version of beef and broccoli that you can whip up in about 20 minutes. It’s even faster if you cut the beef, whisk together the sauce and cook a pot of rice ahead of time.
Beef and Broccoli
Makes 3 to 4 servings
FOR THE BEEF
- 1 pound lean beef, cut into pieces
- 1 to 2 package(s) of fresh broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water or beef broth
- Sweetener of choice, to taste
First, make the sauce. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the sauce ingredients and then set aside.
Next, cook the beef. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil and stir-fry the beef until it has browned on all sides. Remove beef from pan and set aside.
Last, cook the broccoli. Add the remaining teaspoon sesame oil to the pan and stir-fry the broccoli until it is crisp yet tender. Return the beef to the pan. Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan and cook, stirring frequently, for a few more minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Serve over hot cooked rice.